Wednesday, September 23, 2009

My Griswald's

Okay, I have really tried to keep this to myself and not broadcast it into cyberspace but I cannot contain it any longer. We live across the street from the Griswald's. If you do not know who I am referring to please check out the movie National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. There is so much I can share, but I shall resist.

So my biggest pet peeve right now is this:
We have a big beautiful window in the foyer and as we go up and down the stairs we have a wide open view from the front of the house. That would be wonderful except that directly in my view is the Griswald's. There is a list as long as Santa's list about the idiosyncrasies radiating from that one residence. But the big kicker is that they kicked their adult son out of their house and he is now living in the front yard and sleeping in a tent out back at night. Strange? It gets better. Despite the fact that police have come out a couple of times it has been MONTHS that he has been there. I seriously do not leave the house if I do not have to when one of them is out front (which happens to be just about all the time).

So you are wondering how it gets better. Are you ready for this? This guy has been living outside ALL summer in the Florida heat - without a shower, mind you. And now that it is September his father is building him a trailer. Yes, a trailer. Not just any trailer - it is like an enclosed trailer on wheels with an ac unit that they can park in the garage! They do not want to break the code and have it out for longer than 72 hours - let's not mention the HOURS they have had that silly tent in their yard. So now that the heat of the summer is over, he is building him a nice cozy trailer to live in.

I know that some of you must be thinking that I am making this up, but our friend actually went over and asked the guy why he was building it. Then the father said "yeah, if he would look for a job I would fix his car." Yet he is building him a home. Go figure. So our strange neighbor rides his bike around town all day, loitering at the library and various shopping centers (I know because I have seen him in many - I just can't get away from him!)

I know that this little rant is not Christlike, but I go up and down the stairs about 100 times a day. Every time I do it irritates me, so I am hoping that writing this will allow me to be at peace. I just have to accept that he is not leaving. Even the last police officer that came out said it is not breaking the law - it is certainly not normal, but it isn't breaking a law. Darn.

He is not 100% emotionally stable and has even flipped out toward his parents - thus warranting the first visit by the police. So I am a bit uneasy having a non-showered, hot-tempered homeless guy living across the street. If you are ever bored and need some good laughs - come over and let me share some humor with you. I would post a picture but that might be an invasion of privacy (not that they do not have a video camera pointed toward our house 24/7)

No comments: