Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Lately

Our little babe is thumping more and more these days. The Dr. said my placenta is blocking so I cannot feel a whole lot of movement. But it is increasing!! Nathan actually felt the baby the other night. It was funny - I kept asking if he could feel it and he kept saying no. One time after I asked him and he said no the baby kicked even harder and he felt it!!

Nathan has been traveling a lot lately. For anyone that knows me I do not even like when he goes on an overnight campout with the Boy Scouts. We are so used to be together and that is the way I like it! Well, his plane just landed and now I must wait until he drives home. It is interesting how trials change perspective.

Speaking of trials. This is a good one. A couple weeks ago Nathan kept sharing with me different things he was learning about self-mastery. I listened intently and was impressed with his dedication. Little did I know that soon enough I would be the one using those principles. This pregnancy has been very rough. I started with a couple of infections which was followed by months of nausea - even on medication. The poor kids had a lame summer. Then in July I was feeling better on the medicine and we started to get a life. We went places, even to Sea World. Things were looking up!

Then two days after Nathan started sharing about self mastery I had some kidney pain. The first night it woke me up but I went back to sleep and was fine the next day while Nathan was gone to the temple. But that night I woke up at 1 am in pain!!! I could not sleep at all and waited until I could call my Dr. Of course he told me to call my urologist. So I did. Kelli ended up driving me to my Dr. appt. After an ultrasound I got the news. A kidney stone. Unreal. I asked it I could pass it and he thought I could, so I chose that route since it is the safest for the baby.

So we went home - after stopping on the side of the road to throw up. I was miserable, but I knew there was nothing that could be done. In the middle of the night I got a fever. I called my OB in the morning and he said if I had a fever I needed to get the stent. My heart melted - the stent has always been the part I hate the most with kidney stones. And I knew that if I had it put in I would have to have it for the rest of the pregnancy. I just didn't want it.

Well, the doctors won and I headed to the outpatient surgery center. I was greeted with nurses and an anesthesiologist who did not think I should have the procedure. The urologist said the infection could kill me if I didn't do it. So I sat in turmoil waiting, worrying, wondering. Nathan was going to come pick me up because it would be awhile before they could work me in, but I wouldn't let him. I just didn't want to ride that far again - I didn't want to end up throwing up on the side of the road.

After a half hour or so (I lost all sense of time) they decided to send me to the hospital to get the surgery. I am so glad. The anesthesiologist at the hospital had no reservations on working with someone pregnant so I was greatly relieved. I ended up getting a spinal so I was awake during the procedure. My very first experience with kidney stones was awful - the doctor was terrible, forgot to give me pain medication and then took out the stent while I was awake!!! It was awful. So the thought of being awake for the surgery did not sit well.

In my mind my husband's teachings came - self mastery. I realized that my mind and spirit are stronger than my body. So I prayed and prayed and prayed. I fell asleep and when I woke up I was wondering when they were going to start. Then they turned on the lights - I was done! Relief. Bladder spasms are the most painful part for me when getting a stent. I nearly cried when they told me that I could not have the right medicine because I am pregnant. Again, I prayed and realized that the Lord would not ask this of me if I could not do it with His help. So I took tylenol.

Because of the infection I had to spend the night in the hospital. It was my first time in the hospital other than when I have had babies. I wanted Nathan to go get me food, but then I thought "Oh wait, I am hear because I am sick. I guess I have to obey the rules." I finally got a hospital room at 6:30pm. My surgery was a 2 pm. It was a long day and an even longer night. The nurses offered pain medication, but I have learned from experience that it does not help with the bladder spasms - it just makes me feel sick.

I came home on a Saturday - I was never so happy to be home. I was endlessly grateful for wonderful friends that helped in so many ways. I am so blessed!!

So through this experience I really had to trust in the Lord. There was no way I could do it - at all. I knew how painful it is and Iknew that I just couldn't handle it. But the Lord knew that. He knew that the only way I would make it was to rely on Him. It gave me a huge appreciation for this baby inside of me! I seriously thought we were done. I did not want to get pregnant again and start all over, but I felt very strongly that we were supposed to have another baby. As I see all of the trials and hardships that I have endured this pregnancy (and I am just over halfway) I see how precious this spirit must be to the Lord. I feel honored to be entrusted with this baby. That is a huge step from my attitude at the beginning. I am so grateful that the Lord continues to bless me even when I do not deserve it!

It is a new week though and I still have a lot of discomfort from the stent, but the kidney pain is passing so assume the stone has also. The urologist said it might take a couple weeks for the pain from the stent to go away. Surprisingly that gave me hope. I was afraid there would be no relief.

Nathan is returning from his second business trip - can you believe I have survived? But the worst is yet to come - he will be leaving the country. I teased about hiding his passport when it came in the mail, but I realize that these trips are happening now for a reason. The Monday right after I got out of the hospital Nathan left for Miami. I had a lot of help from people especially with meals, love and support, but I survived. This week he went to New York and again I am surviving. Through facing situations where I feel completely weak and helpless the Lord is actually strengthening me. Unreal. Humbling, but amazing.

2 comments:

richardson crew said...

I so wish we were closer. I love the lessons learned during trials, but I also love the service that one can give in a moment of trial. Know that this side of the country is always praying for your little peice of us so far away. We love you all and can't wait for another little Hoffmann, and you to finally feel better!

Anonymous said...

Wow Girl! You have had a lot to carry. You are a Strong Person and will be blessed to bear your burdens through the Savior's Atonment. Call upon it, and let it help lift you up when times may seem unbearable! You are AMAZING!!! Keep Smiling! There are better days ahead!