Sunday, August 03, 2008
My business
Last night as I went to sleep I was thinking back to last week at church. I was thinking about being totally embarrassed that my kids were so out of control. I thought "Ugh, what must my friends think of me." That is when a quote another friend shared in her lesson popped into my head. So I thought I would share it. The quote comes from her mother - "What people think of me is none of my business." At first I thought "What??" But in that moment of quiet laying in bed I sensed what it means to me at this point in my life. Truly what others think of me and my children should not alter the way I am or the way I treat my children. Sometimes I think I am so worried about what other people will think that I am more stern or overly demanding of my children. I am not sure why I am that way or if it is normal for a mother to feel that way. Part of it I think is that we have so many young children and I feel that if they act up people will blame us or say "You shouldn't have had so many children - at least not that fast." So part of me feels as if I always have something to prove. Quite frankly that is ridiculous - a lot of people feel that way no matter how we act. So why do I let it get to me? Having six kids is stressful enough at times - I need to stop making it harder by trying to prove myself to people who really don't care about us anyway. So that is my goal. To stop worrying about what other people think - after all it is none of my business. So let me know what you think about this goal ---- just kidding!!! Well, you can tell me but in the end it will not alter my decision -- is that better? Am I making progress? This is going to be tough.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



5 comments:
Great thoughts! ... By the way, You are a GREAT MOTHER!!!
I truly think you are on the right track. I am proud of your decision not to worry about what others think. Signs of growth and maturity are never fast coming.
Remember 30 minutes a day at least and yes you are a GREAT MOM!
I think we'd all be better off if we quit worrying about what everyone else thought! Great goal.
I feel the same way sometimes, too. You are choosing the right thing to do, IMO. I think that is part of becoming a stronger person and I think it shows our children how to deflect negativity.
Mindy, I know EXACTLY how you feel. Even with the twins people look down at you you feel the judgement from them. But, I have to tell you a little story, about a year ago I took the twins into the pharmacy with me for what should have been a *quick* trip. Well, 2 seconds after i let go of their hands to get money out, one ran one way and the other went another way...I ended up getting them both after giving chase to carrson for a few isles and when I got back to the line with them I popped them on the butt..I looked up at all of the people around me and said *I dont want to hear anyone say I shouldn't spank my kid*. The elderly lady behind me said *you wont hear that from me, good job mom*...lol Thats sorta when I realized that you never really know what people think and it really doesnt matter..my kids needed big time discipline and they got it regardless of others looking on...
The only people we have to prove anything to is our kids.
I know you are a good mom..and you have great kids..only wish we could be around you all alot more...
Post a Comment