Dallen had started Kindergarten and was not real confident in how to get to class. Well his class is on the way to Brooklynn's so I was having her look out for him. He went two days, then we had the storm and so this week he kind of started all over again. Yesterday morning he was the last one out of the truck and the other kids all left him.
When I picked them up in the afternoon Brooklynn mentioned that she went back to check on him and he wasn't at his class. She finally found him still where they got dropped off. When she said that he burst into tears. My heart broke. I immediately tried to protect him and arranged for Brooklynn to help him to class until he feels comfortable and defended when when Joe was complaining. I explained that Joseph is adventurous and will just go off and explore and if he gets lost he will figure it out - he is like Daddy. Then I explained that Dallen is more like Mommy - he is emotional and if he gets lost - he gets upset.
So I felt good about what I did. I defended Dallen and arranged for him to be protected. Life was good. Not really, I started to feel guilty. So I went to the kids and told Dallen how to get to his class - there are only two things he has to remember. Then I asked Brooklynn to follow Dallen to his class but not to lead him there because Dallen can do it all by himself.
So this morning was make it or break it day. I put Dallen in the first seat to exit the truck so he would for sure not be left behind and told him as he left the truck " I love you, Dallen. You can do it. I believe in you!" Something amazing happened. By the time Brooklynn got out of the truck she was actually calling out for Dallen to wait up for her! All he needed was for someone to believe in him! My little man is all grown up.
I can't believe it - for years and years people have said that the time would come when I wouldn't have a bunch of little kids, I wouldn't have thousands of diapers to change, I wouldn't have kids needing me every second and I just couldn't imagine it. Well, that time is not here entirely but it is coming and it is a bit sad. But on the flip side I am so excited to see what wonderful little people these amazing children are developing into! I am so blessed.
I can hardly wait to pick up the kids and see how Dallen did getting to his class, but I have a pretty good feeling he did just fine!
UPDATE - He did it! He knew just where to go. Wahoo. Way to go big boy!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
ohhh, sweet Dallen. I'm glad Brooklyn found him. What a great sister Brooklyn is! It does take a while for the shy ones to get comfortable. :)
What a great story! Thanks for sharing. You're such a great Mommy.
Post a Comment