Today Mara, Anderson and I had to run a few errands. Apparently Anderson was really tired so leaving Lowe's he had a total meltdown when it was time to leave that fun little race car cart. He refused to get in his carseat. You know, one of those delightful times you have to try to and pry their little body into the carseat. There is no good way to do it either because the child is screaming mad so of course people are already wondering what you are doing to him. Eventually we made it. Whew.
He did great at the second store - delightful and happy - quite a good little shopper usually. We left the pharmacy and headed for the checkout. Of course it is Friday morning and although they have like 75 checkout lanes only one is open and ten people are ahead of you. Again, we were doing well until... (here is where you should add the Star Wars music duuh duuuh duuuuun) We were just about to the checkout when Anderson dropped his lollipop on the floor. I was thinking - No way! We were so close to escaping without incident. It was such a disappointment. He began to cry and started getting himself worked up when out of nowhere Mara took a bite off her lollipop and gave the rest to Anderson. My heart melted. I was so touched by the love of that three year old girl. How sweet. How peaceful. What a doll. My Sweet Pea.
I should end the story there on such a positive note but I find it comical -as soon as we got to the truck my Sweet Pea teased Anderson with sitting in the back seat and then wouldn't let him. We had the mother of all meltdowns and again I had to try and pry my son into his car seat. I just kept saying "Breathe deep. Remain calm." Even as the wind blew and I could hear the cart blowing and hitting my truck. I tried to keep my perspective and thought - my son is more important than my truck - even when he is freaking out like a wild animal. The poor boy though - Target is about three minutes from our house and he was already asleep before we got home. He had done the best he could do. He is now peacefully napping.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
Nice to know Kennedy isn't the only one who can go from sweet to sour in a matter of minutes.
Don't you love those days. Hate to say that I'm glad to hear that you had such a crazy time, but it does make me feel a tiny bit better to know that I'm not the only one!
(this is Kim used-to-be White, by the way. Jen gave me the link to your blog)
Oh, so sweet. Go Mara!
Post a Comment