Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Happy St. Patrick's Day

St. Patrick's Day. To be quite honest I never really knew why we celebrate St. Patrick's Day so as homeschoolers we researched it and did a lapbook about it which you can see at the end of the post. I hope I don't bore you - anyway at 16 years old St Patrick was kidnapped and taken to Ireland- escaped six years later and decided to go into religion. Once he did he returned to Ireland and brought them Christianity. He was thrown into jail several times (like someone else we know) but never gave up. Turns out he was pretty cool and deserves to be celebrated.

So to begin the festivities we ate green eggs and canadian bacon - sorry Dr. Seuss - I did my best.


We topped it off with green milk and toast with green butter! The butter was pretty crazy looking.
Then the Sister Missionaries came over to cut our hair. One of the Sisters is a very sweet, talented hair stylist who does it for service. Not bad, eh? You won't find that with Elders (sorry if I am stereotyping). So here are a couple pics of the cutting.
This was Mara's first hair cut ever and she tripped me out because she had the world's biggest smile on her face the whole time! Isn't it a cute smile?
The kids worked on the lapbook and made Leprechaun lenses (toilet paper roll telescopes with green saran wrap on the end). They loved them!Anderson was his usual shy self when I brought out the camera.
Lunch - green mac and cheese, hotdogs, apples, carrots, oranges and green lemonade. The green mac and cheese was not a hit. Normally we can cream the two boxes with no problem. This meal we had me, the six kids and the Sister Missionaries and ate maybe one box. But it was fun. Then we had cupcakes with green frosting, ice cream, sprinkles and magic shell. It was so fun to have the Sisters over!We only worked on this lapbook for a day and a half so we didn't make it fancy, but we are working on some more that we are excited about. We will share them when we are done.

Then here is a pic of the kids with the Sisters! They are the best! One just got transferred so we are so glad we got to spend a little more time with her before she left. We will miss her.

3 comments:

Tori said...

Wow! You did TONS of uploading. Good on ya! ^_^

I loved the Star Wars figures. Also, you're day with the Sisters looks like it was wonderful. So fun with the green foods!

I loved all the pictures.

Anonymous said...

What a fun Mom you are! The kids look so cute and happy!

Casey Gentle said...

All your posts are cute. I do have to say, there really aren't many things better than Sister missionaries! Something about us...them! :)